Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"never stop"


never stop
Originally uploaded by stoneth

Today I went to the Wayfarer Center.

There was no meat in the refrigerator. None. So we opened the massive freezer thinking that there would be some hamburger that we could thaw to make spaghetti. But there were only a couple of boxes of hotdogs and a few tubes of Jimmy Dean sausage. Seems the stores are mostly donating baked goods now - rolls, cakes, cookies.

There was a little plastic tub with cut veggies - broccoli, baby carrots, celery chunks, cherry tomatos - and a small 4x4 bowl with carrot slices.

So my friend Connie Crandall went to the store to buy some lettuce and green onions, and while the hot dog buns thawed - there were boatloads of those in the freezer - Warren McCray (mid 80's and a teriffic cook - when there are supplies) and I opened up the frozen hot dogs and got the water boiling.

When the salad building was in full gear, Warren found some Portobello mushrooms in the fridge, so I chopped those into huge pieces*. They were a kind of double-edged sword: for the adults they were a gourmet addition to the salad. But an, 'Oh, GROSSS!" for their children. *so they could be picked out!

During the preparation, a weathered woman came over to talk. I made some sort of goofy apology about the sparse meal of just hotdogs and salad, and she said that she could tell that it was being made with love.

That's why I attached the photo. There is hope and courage, sadness and struggle in the faces of the many homeless people that I've seen. I'm always reminded that we are all children of our Heavenly Father and that He loves them ~ and I am His earthly hands to help lift them up. And that it is only by His grace that I am so blessed.

(Photo originally uploaded by 'stoneth' on flickr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment